Each Office application supports its specific file formats. See below what Office applications supports what formats.
Teams (coming soon)
SharePoint (coming soon)
Formats marked in bold are the recommended formats to use as they offer the best overall experience.
(1) Support for inline preview in Template Chooser Add-In
(2) Due to some missing API's for the template file format in PowerPoint and Excel we recommend to use the document format for templates to get the best user experience when creating new documents.
(3) Due to some missing API's for the macro file formats in PowerPoint across platforms these files are only supported on Windows and Mac.
(4) Due to some missing API's for the macro file formats in Word across platforms these files are only supported on Windows and Mac with a simple browser download experience.
(5) Please be aware that Office Online does not support macros. The file can be created and opened in Office Online but the macros will not be available.